Sunday, June 19, 2011

Beginning of Commute

Good morning and welcome to the first blog of Commuter Mom. I decided to sart this blog to talk about some of the ups and downs of being a commuter mom. My commute began 3 yrs. ago when my family and I left Los Angeles and moved to Temecula, CA. I had know idea that I would have to drive over 2 hours with a then 3 y/o and 1 y/o. I was under the impression that since I had a clear credential that I would be able to transfer easily to a job closer to home. Was I ever wrong. We moved at the time when teachers were being laid off left and right. My school ended in May this particular year. All summer I was submitting applications. No takers. Come September, I began my journery. My morning began at 3:45am. My husband would get our sons together around 4:30am and we were out the door my 5:00.
Traffic was horrible. I was just thankful that the children were fast asleep. Finally, I made it to their daycare. It was hard for me to leave my sons especially the younger boy because he was a preemie (but more on that later). I was back in the car for 20 additional minutes. I made it to work at 7:45am and the bell rings at 7:55. I was exhausted. To make matters worse, I was teaching a new grade level. It took me about a week to get accustomed to the drive so I was know longer barely making it in the door but arriving by 7:20.
The drive home was quite different even more traffic and two alert boys. I would arrive home by 5:30-6PM. My daughter who was in middle school was home by the time I arrived. Tired, I had to begin dinner and look over homework. This went on for 180 days. I just thankful for our 3 week winter vacation and spring break plus 2 1/2 months off for summer. I'm still commuting and will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment